Social interactions are essential to overall health because they may provide a sense of security and meaning.
Suggestions for Maintaining Relationships:
- Make plans to visit friends and family
- Don’t be afraid to ask for (and accept!) help from loved ones
- Build a care team with the people you trust
- Volunteer in the community or with a local organization
- Find others who share similar hobbies
- Plan regular walks with neighbors
- Schedule activities ahead of time and use digital or written reminders to keep track of them
If you’ve been recently diagnosed with Alzheimer’s or another dementia, you may find it more difficult to remain socially active with family and friends. However, it’s important to keep up with your social activities to maintain personal connections.